Tuesday 27 September 2016

Genius Hour Project: Business Basics

Marketing Myself

If I want to market myself as a singing teacher, even if I just focusing on the digital front at the moment, I need to think of this channel as the beginning of a business: my future physical vocal lesson business. So what does a business have? A name and a logo, at the very least. 
I needed a channel name and logo in order to brand my channel. I wanted to use my name, and find something catchy and fun, and immediate relation to my purpose. After playing around with some rhymes, I came up with "Sing Away with Mrs. Day" and created a logo and icon. 

This is going to be my business name and channel persona that I will use in all my channel and lesson videos to represent my brand.

Mission Statement

Businesses also have a mission statement. The following is one that I had created for a physical studio:
 Like mastering any skill, having a firm hold on the basics is essential for success. Day Studio focuses on teaching students strong foundational techniques for proper, healthy vocal production and musicianship. Each lesson focuses growth through targeted vocal exercises to develop transferable technique skills for all levels of singers. These vocal exercises are then translated into carefully selected songs, applying technique to performance. This focus on technique foundations allows students to develop healthy habits and instincts that become consistent in performance. Along with vocal technique foundations, lessons also focus on improving articulation of text and expressive storytelling, essential skills required of any successful performer.  
Obviously, that mission statement isn't going to quite fit the digital teaching model, so I will have to do some modifications.

Like mastering any skill, having a firm hold on the basics is essential for success. "Sing Away with Mrs. Day" focuses on teaching students strong foundational techniques for proper, healthy vocal production and musicianship in a global digital forum . Each lesson focuses growth through targeted vocal exercises to develop transferable technique skills for all levels of singers. These vocal exercises are then translated into carefully selected songs, applying technique to performance. A focus on technique foundations allows students to develop healthy habits and instincts that become consistent in performance. Along with vocal technique foundations, lessons also focus on improving articulation of text and expressive storytelling, essential skills required of any successful performer.  

Biography


I will also need to have a biography to introduce myself and my qualifications to teach singing:

The founder of  "Sing Away with Mrs. Day", Charlene Day, has an Honours Bachelor of Music degree from Wilfrid Laurier University, and over 12 years of performing experience in local theatre and solo vocal performances. She assisted the Musical Direction of Simcoe County native Kempenfelt Community Player’s "Seussical the Musical", winning 3 ACTCO awards and 5 nominations. She taught 15 students from ages 9-19 at Moving Art Performing Academy before moving to St Catharines with her husband. Currently she is studying at Brock University for Teachers Education, focusing on vocal music instruction in elementary school.   
Both these elements will help me build the foundation for my digital practice, and eventually translate over to my physical studio. I will add them to my channel. 

0 comments: