Tuesday 11 October 2016

Genius Hour Project: Prep and Plan

Prep and Plan

Using the list of vocal lesson elements from my previous post, I organized each element as best I could into different categories or closely related topics. From there, I narrowed it down to three components of a lesson:
  1. Technique
  2. Repertoire
  3. Theory

Eventually I will venture into making videos exploring musical theory, but I wanted to focus this project on the other two components. However, both encompass a lot of subcategories and topics, so where to narrow the focus even more? I decided to focus on the main elements I would zone into during the first few lessons with a beginning student.

                  Technique:

  • Correct Breathing
    • crucial as it is the foundation of singing
  • Posture
    • goes with breathing, and how to properly “hold” your instrument
  • Warming Up
    • the vocal chords, diaphragm, and the rest of your body
  • Technique
    • because this is a huge topic, I decided to focus on pure Vowel Production for my first exercise


How to Learn a Song:


  1. Listen to the song
  2. Make a song map
  3. Clap the rhythm
  4. Speak lyrics as a monolog
  5. Research poem, words, phrases. Create a backstory, purpose, goal or message to portray. Develop a reason why the song is important and what the outcome is after singing
  6. Speak the words in rhythm
  7. Learn the melody on a vowel
  8. Add words to melody
  9. Add in technique
  10. Add in dynamics and expression


And voila, I have the two lesson plan outlines for my first two video lessons.

Recording

Before I could record I needed a clean studio space, so I spent an entire evening ripping apart my music “office” (aka, the corner of my living room) and went through all my music that I’ve collected over the year. I recycled A LOT of duplicate (some triplicate) copies of sheet music, and found stuff over 15 years old (like my first competition feedback notes from the adjudicator!). Once that was all organized and clean, I felt like I had a nice space I could proudly record my lessons in.
I moved my piano and light into a better position so I could record facing the camera, but still able to play the piano, and would be facing my students (when I finally get some), giving them room to move around the room as needed.  

I decided to record using my tablet since I discovered it recorded well, was easy to stop and start, and I would be able to monitor the picture so I could make sure what I was trying to demonstrate was fitting into the screen. It was also relatively easy to move around the room, even if I didn’t have a tripod. I did create a pretty interesting platform for recording at the correct angle by putting a kitchen chair on top of my coffee table. It was at perfect eye level when I was seated at the piano.

And now I’m ready to record!


0 comments: